From: Scott Stoddard <scott@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How does Portage prioritze emerges in emerge world?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:37:54
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >
3 > This thread is all about compiling kernel modules, which must be specific
4 > to either the running kernel or the intended kernel. Most packages take
5 > the latter option, using the symlink, which causes problems if the
6 > symlink is updated during an emerge -u world.
9 IMO exactly why no one should ever really use the symlink USE flag...
10
11 (Haven't read the whole thread either...long since deleted from my
12 mailserver.)
13
14 Depending on the output of uname -r is foolish, as witnessed by the
15 debacle of windows versions over the years. (Several prominent pieces
16 of software install only on versions matching a string returned by the
17 OS, thereby essentially eliminating the possibility that they will work
18 on future versions. I still have several perfectly stable programs that
19 won't run on windows xp 64 bit because of this problem.)
20
21 Who is to say what that [uname -r] return might look like on different
22 systems with custom-patched kernels? from different distros? multi-years
23 into the future?
26 Scott.
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list