From: Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD->mp4 - handbrake vs something else
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:40:49
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 16:09, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm getting a Kindle Fire in a few days. While I didn't get it
3 > specifically to watch movies looking at the specs it does apparently
4 > handle mp4 as a video format and they state online that you can watch
5 > streaming movies & TV shows from Amazon's servers. I do a lot of blood
6 > donations - roughly 20-25 times/year - that take 2-3 hours each so
7 > either being able to read or watch a movie would be a pleasant way to
8 > pass the time. Being able to hold it comfortably in one hand is
9 > important to me.
10 >
11 > I started looking around in Google for something to encode a few DVDs
12 > so that I could see how well it works. A program called handbrake was
13 > showing up in a lot of links, but it requires an overlay. While I have
14 > no problem adding yet another overlay (which on is best?) I wondered
15 > what might be in the normal portage database that others here use for
16 > this purpose?
19 I use vobcopy to rip each title to a vob (instead of VTS_${TITLE}_$n)
20 then 2-pass ffmpeg the vob to transcode to mkv.
21
22 Makes batch transcoding rather fast and painless.