From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To Wifi or not to Wifi...
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:58:01
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-07-29 16:38]:
2 > On Wednesday 29 Jul 2015 03:42:56 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-07-29 03:32]:
4 > > > On Tuesday 28 Jul 2015 20:35:55 Todd Goodman wrote:
5 > > > > * Meino.Cramer@×××.de <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> [150728 15:31]:
6 > > > > [..SNIP..]
7 > > > >
8 > > > > > Hi Todd,
9 > > > > >
10 > > > > > thanks for all your help and patience... :))
11 > > > > >
12 > > > > > The recursive(recursive(recursive).problem.).problem).problem has
13 > > > > > been solved by rebooting my PC (due to the new kernel) and restarting
14 > > > > > the tablet PC.
15 > > > > >
16 > > > > > Now I am fighting against dhcpd...as sson as I want to start that
17 > > > > > beast its telling me that dhcpd.ldap is missing. This was not
18 > > > > > installed (at least as an example) by emerge. I have no idea what
19 > > > > > is to get into that file.
20 > > > > >
21 > > > > > I will check create_ap...may be it is more intelligent than me in
22 > > > > > writing config-files ;)
23 > > > > >
24 > > > > > But unfortunately I have to stop my journey here for today...it is
25 > > > > > late here (9:00 pm) and I have to get out early tommorrow (4:00 am).
26 > > > > >
27 > > > > > But /I want/ to get this running finally.
28 > > > > > We will see.
29 > > > > > As soon I have something new, I will post more of the contents
30 > > > > > of my harddisk ;)
31 > > > > >
32 > > > > > Best regards and thanks again! 8)
33 > > > > > Meino
34 > > > >
35 > > > > Hi Meino,
36 > > > >
37 > > > > You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help (and get this
38 > > > > solved!)
39 > > > >
40 > > > > I'm sure you will eventually.
41 > > > >
42 > > > > Please let us know how it goes once you get back to it.
43 > > > >
44 > > > > Good night,
45 > > > >
46 > > > > Todd
47 > > >
48 > > > A lot seems to have been progressed with since I last contributed to this
49 > > > thread. Given that WiFi related problems were solved thanks to Todd's
50 > > > good help, perhaps Meino should start a thread on setting up a local
51 > > > dhcp server?
52 > > >
53 > > > However, I would recommend that you set a static route, gateway and IP
54 > > > address on your tablet pointing to the PC and on the PC you configure IP
55 > > > Masquerading, so that it can NAT connections from the tablet to the
56 > > > Internet.
57 > > >
58 > > > However, if you must be running a dhcp server, then emerge and configure
59 > > > net- misc/dhcp on the PC.
60 > >
61 > > Hi Todd, hi Mick,
62 > >
63 > > !YEAH! It works!
64 > > create_ap did it! I have access to the internet on my tablet just by
65 > > fireing up create_ap.
66 > >
67 > > There is one advantage of create_ap (beside creating a /working/ ap,
68 > > which I was not able to...;) over the setup below /etc: One can give
69 > > it an temporary SSID and password on the commandline - every
70 > > configuration is temporary. In my case this is very handy, since I
71 > > only need the AP for transferring files from and to my tablet. Makes
72 > > the thing /a little/ more secure...a /little/.
73 > >
74 > > Still I have to figure out:
75 > >
76 > > 1) What create_ap does differently (and more correctly).
77 >
78 > It also sets up a DNS repeater, DHCP server and configures iptables on your
79 > PC.
82 > > 2) How I can assign a static IP to my tablet.
83 >
84 > There must be some config files to edit, but I'm guessing you won't have
85 > access to these without rooting the tablet.
88 > > 3) How I can change the MAC on my tablet.
89 >
90 > Ditto.
91 >
92 > --
93 > Regards,
94 > Mick
98 Hi Mick,
99
100 thanks for your reply and answers! :)
101
102 I have rooted the tablet, but I dont want to change "The inner core"
103 (setup/boot scripts) until I know a little more about Android...it is
104 quite a different Linux somehow.
105 I thought of a temporary solution, which sets the MAC/IP from the
106 commmandline until the tablet is booted again.
107
108 create_ap is of great help for me...it be instructed to dump its
109 configuration also, so I have a source for further inspections.
110
111 Best regards,
112 Meino