From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Ever since a recent update, vim misbehaves when run as root
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:03:37
1 I'm not exactly sure when, but starting a month or so ago, vim has been
2 acting weird when
3 I run it as root. For one thing, there are messages
4 Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
5 on the console. I presume this is an X authority thing, but I'm not sure
6 why it became an
7 issue when it wasn't before, and I've completely forgotten what to do about
8 it. I'm generally
9 running a gnome-terminal 2.26.3.1 under KDE on plain Gento.
10
11 It's weird, I know, but I've been doing this for ages. Moreover, in spite of
12 weirdness, the editing session works.
13
14 Except that there are messages
15 Xlib: No protocol specified
16 overlaid on the document scattered more or less randomly. They can be
17 cleaned off by
18 control-L.
19
20 This is barely workable, and leaves me with a WTF sort of feeling.
21 Fortunately, I don't do a whole lot of editing as root, but there's always
22 something...
23
24 Any clues out there?
27 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD