From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why are packages not merged binary
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 11:51:35
1 On 24/12/2013 12:59, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have several machines of the same architecture so I build using distcc
5 > and --buildpkg and then try to emerge -uk on the other boxes. However
6 > there are differences in useflags so I understand, that in some cases
7 > on the 2nd or 3rd box the package has to be rebuilt. What I still don't get
8 > is: How can I recognize _why_ a package is not merged from the binary.
9 > emerge -uDkvp --binpkg-respect-use y shows the use flags in colors but
10 > I don't know how to read this.
11
12 If portage will use the binpkg, the line is printed in a pink/purple color.
13
14 If it can't use the binpkg, it uses the normal colours (green here).
15
16 I always get a report if USE differs, what is your setting of
17 --binpkg-respect-use? The usual report looks like this:
20 # USE="vanilla" emerge -pvk bash
21
22 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
23
24 Calculating dependencies... done!
25 [ebuild R ] app-shells/bash-4.2_p45 USE="examples net nls plugins
26 (readline) vanilla* -afs -bashlogger -mem-scramble" 0 kB
27
28 Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
29
30 !!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to non matching USE:
31
32 =app-shells/bash-4.2_p45 -vanilla
33
34 NOTE: The --binpkg-respect-use=n option will prevent emerge
35 from ignoring these binary packages if possible.
36 Using --binpkg-respect-use=y will silence this warning.
39 > Also: Are packages with the bindist useflag are automatically exempt from
40 > being binary merged if -bindist is given?
41
42 No.
43
44 binpkgs and bindist are two completely different things and not related
45 in any way
51 Alan McKinnon
52 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com