From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] flashplugin detection
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 00:50:28
1 On 10/28/06, Matthew R. Lee <gentoo@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I'm an e-season ticket holder at liverpoolfc.tv where I can listen to live
3 > commentary of all the games and watch video highlights. Last season
4 > everything worked fine (or more or less fine), this season they have changed
5 > the econsole to work with flash. I have the flashplugin installed and it
6 > works. However, when I launch the econsole it says it needs flashplugin
7 > installed (it can't detect it) as a consequence I can't access the media
8 > streams (except through the technical support page). I've complained to the
9 > technical support but got the usual answer "we do not fully support or test
10 > on Linux systems" Before I write back an tell them what I think about that,
11 > I would like to be able to tell them how to fix it.
12
13 It isn't something they can fix on their end.
14
15 You didn't mention what browser you are using, but assuming it is
16 firefox does the flash plugin show up when you go to "about:plugins"?
17 If not, then somehow it is not installed or not installed correctly.
18
19 Another possibility is that they are using flash version 8 or higher,
20 which had no linux version until a few weeks ago. In this case you
21 may try unmask the beta of netscape-flash-9.x with "echo
22 '=net-www/netscape-flash-9*' >> /etc/portage/package.unmask". I
23 haven't tried it, but have seen reports of memory leaks and browser
24 crashes that are attributable to this.
25
26 Another option for flash8 compatibility is to install the windows
27 version of firefox and flash under wine. I have done this with some
28 success.
29
30 -Richard
31 --