From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building all packages except gcc
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:40:10
1 On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:19:06 +0200, ~/Timur Aydin wrote:
2
3 > How would I go about rebuilding all installed packages, except gcc? I
4 > suppose I could do "emerge --emptytree world", but that would also merge
5 > gcc, which I don't want, because I want to be sure that the whole system
6 > is rebuilt with the same compiler.
7
8 I don't see why this is an issue in the first place. Assuming you have
9 just rebuilt gcc, to make sure it is as up to date as possible, emerge -e
10 world will only rebuild an identical copy. Even when you have done this,
11 you would have to repeat the process for every minor gcc revision bump.
12
13 But if you want to do it, and build the packages in the correct order,
14 the best option is to simply remove gcc from the list that emerge -e
15 world produces, like this
16
17 emerge -oneshot $(emerge -pe world | grep -v 'sys-devel/gcc-[34]' | awk '/^\[ebuild/ {print $4}' | sed 's/^/=/')
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.