From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to run 2.6.25 kernel (no DEVTMPFS)?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 21:21:59
1 On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > I need to do some testing with kernels as far back as 2.6.25. I've
4 > currently got a Gentoo box that can build and run kernels ranging from
5 > 3.14.rc2 to 2.6.32. There are various gcc and make issues which have
6 > been successfully dealt with, but now I'm stuck on DEVTMPFS.
7 >
8 > Prior to 2.6.32 DEVTMPFS isn't available, so even though I can build
9 > and boot a 2.6.25 kernel, udev craps out.
10 >
11 > There are plenty of spare paritions to play with, so doing a Linux
12 > install to test with kernels older than 2.6.32 is no problem.
13 >
14 > I'm wondering if instead of downloading an old Ubuntu or Fedora DVD,
15 > is there any way to install an "old" version of Gentoo that will work
16 > with pre-DEVTMPFS kernels?
19 Do you actually need udev? If you can get away with just having a
20 static /dev with pre-created device nodes, that would be the simplest
21 solution.