From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the gimmick to run tightvnc from windows to gentoo
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:05:32
1 Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@×××.net> writes:
2
3 > Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> David Blamire-Brown <david@××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> I did this a while back and I got it working by tunnelling via SSH
7 >>> (using putty on windows). But I can't remember the exact details
8 >>> off the top of my head. It may be worth googling that set-up. I seem
9 >>> to remember thinking it felt like a kludge and I can't quite
10 >>> remember why I ended up doing it, but I do remember that it worked.
11 >>
12 >> Well at least that sounds promising. I did see mention of that in
13 >> some of my google searches but I wondered, If I had to use ssh, why
14 >> wouldn't I just pull the X session on linux across with ssh alone.
15 >> And forget about VNC.
16 >
17 > Session persistence. [1] With VNC I can create a full desktop session
18 > (I use Fluxbox because it's lightweight) and connect to it as needed
19 > from any system with network access. This is great for my IM app. I
20 > lock my firewall rules down to allow VNC only from localhost and ssh
21 > tunnel all my connections (even on the LAN) because VNC's auth scheme
22 > is dreadfully insecure.
23
24 [...]
25
26 Thanks for the tips... it turned out to be nothting worse than needing
27 to add the display number to the connect attempt like: host:display
28
29 I had only been putting the host name since that is how I connect
30 between windows machines or from linux to windows
31
32 I had expected to be able to connect to the running X desktop but
33 apparently that isn't going to happen. In other words I cannot view
34 the running desktop from a remote machine but am forced to view a new
35 or different desktop where none of the things I have running on :0 are
36 available.