From: Michael Mathurin <angelfly91@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:50:34
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Hi list,
4 >
5 > I ran across this news item about Google:
6 >
7 > http://alturl.com/s7xi5
8 >
9 > The long URL is below. I'm sort of getting to where I don't like Google
10 > since they seem to be doing things that I'm just not comfy with. Next
11 > they will want a camera on my rig so they can watch me surf. I found a
12 > search engine that may work. It is here:
13 >
14 > www.ixquick.com
15 >
16 > Does anyone have a better search tool? I don't like Yahoo either. I do
17 > like froogle so that would be a bonus. You know, shopping tool.
18 >
19 > Now to my next issue. I'm thinking about switching emails too. Yea,
20 > everyone on here knows my addy but I bet most can recognize my posts
21 > anyway. Plus, if the init thingy goes south, well, it happens. Anyway,
22 > what is a nice stable email account server that allows pop access,
23 > Seamonkey as the email program, that is not tracking everything or nosey
24 > as heck? Free would be nice but I would pay something inexpensive on a
25 > yearly basis if it is really good. I think Yahoo has this but ain't
26 > they sort of like Google already? Plus, I'm not sure how much longer
27 > Yahoo is going to last or make similar changes itself. I'm sort of
28 > getting tired of switching emails every time I switch ISPs or there is a
29 > policy change. That is why I switched to gmail in the first place. No
30 > matter what ISP I use, I can still use Gmail. Yet, here I am again.
31 >
32 > Thoughts? Suggestions?
33 >
34 > Dale
35 >
36 > :-) :-)
37 >
38 > Long URL just in case the shorty above doesn't work. It may be broken
39 > tho. Copy and paste alert.
40 >
41 > http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/google-tracks-consumers-across-products-users-cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html?wpisrc=al_comboNE_b
42
43 For an alternative search engine you should have a look at DuckDuckGo
44 I've used it in the past and it has a pretty impressive set of
45 features. As for e-mail I've heard good things about FastMail. Hushmail
46 used to be a good one but I'm not sure how they stand today.
49 t: https://www.twitter.com/mikankun
50 b: http://mikankun.wordpress.com