From: Ralph Seichter <abbot@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help with IPv6, please
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 21:38:20
1 * gentoo-user@××××.de:
2
3 > The easiest option is if you're using stateful DHCPv6. In this case
4 > you just need to set up your dhcp server to notify your dns server of
5 > any new leases.
6
7 That's what you consider "the easiest option"? ;-)
8
9 I usually ask the following of people starting with IPv6: Do you really
10 need fixed names for all nodes, or is this more of a reflex?
11
12 In my experience, home networks can usually run with only a few fixed
13 addresses (or rather name-to-address mappings). An old printer might
14 need a fixed address. A multimedia server will broadcast its services
15 and often does not need a fixed address. Neither do various smart-
16 phones. The router might need one, if it has a web UI. Something like
17 this might be enough:
18
19 # /etc/hosts
20 fd67:1:2:3::1 router.local router
21 fd67:1:2:3::2 printer.local printer
22
23 fd67:1:2:3::/64 is a random ULA prefix, pretty much an equivalent of
24 10.0.0.0/8 but much larger. Just assign a fixed ULA address to nodes
25 that *really* need it and share /etc/hosts across your nodes.
26
27 That, to me, is an easier option than setting up DHCPv6 and a DNS
28 server, both of which need to support dynamic DNS updates. Depending on
29 your environment, "ping6 somename.local" might work without any manual
30 configuration at all, as I mentioned in my previous message.
31
32 -Ralph