From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To Wifi or not to Wifi...
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 15:02:23
1 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> [15-07-29 16:38]:
2 > On Wednesday 29 July 2015 06:40:51 Mick wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 29 Jul 2015 03:42:56 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > Still I have to figure out:
5 > > >
6 > > > 1) What create_ap does differently (and more correctly).
7 > >
8 > > It also sets up a DNS repeater, DHCP server and configures iptables on your
9 > > PC.
10 > >
11 > > > 2) How I can assign a static IP to my tablet.
12 > >
13 > > There must be some config files to edit, but I'm guessing you won't have
14 > > access to these without rooting the tablet.
15 >
16 > I think Meino means how he should tell dhcpd to assign the same IP to his
17 > tablet every time it appears. This is easy in dnsmasq but I don't know dhcp.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Rgds
21 > Peter
25 Hi Peter,
26
27 quite an easy answer: YESNO! ;)
28
29 Until I read your mail, my thought of "statis IP" was:
30 Server and client set their IPs for themselves statically and
31 "know" of the IPs of the counterpart.
32
33 Your mail gives (at least to me) a totally new aspect: DHCPd
34 "dynamically" assigns the same IP to the client all the time.
35 Which is an elegant solution around the problem of currently
36 don't knowing how to set an IP on my tablet other than via DHCP.
37
38 Downside: One still needs to configure DHCPd on the server side/site.
39
40 Thanks for the new aspect! :)
41
42 Best regards,