From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 22:51:12
1 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
2 > On 2012-12-25, Dale wrote:
5 > root@fireball / # egrep 'usb-db|pci-db|FROM_DATABASE|/usr' /*/udev/rules.d/*
6 > [...]
7 >> $$D; printf %%03i:%%03i $$B $$D'", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/python
8 >> /usr/bin/hp-check-plugin -m %c &'"
9 >> /lib/udev/rules.d/86-hpmud_plugin.rules:SUBSYSTEM=="usb",
10 >> ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03f0",
11 >> ATTRS{idProduct}=="??2a", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'X=%k; X=$${X#usbdev};
12 >> B=$${X%%%%.*}; D=$${X#*.}; logger -p user.info loading HP Device $$B
13 >> $$D; printf %%03i:%%03i $$B $$D'", RUN+="/bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/python
14 >> /usr/bin/hp-check-plugin -m %c &'"
15 >> /lib/udev/rules.d/90-alsa-restore.rules: RUN+="/usr/sbin/alsactl
16 >> restore $attr{number}"
17 >> root@fireball / #
20 >> Yikes, almost enough for a attachment.
21 >>
22 >> root@fireball / # equery list udev
23 >> * Searching for udev ...
24 >> [IP-] [ ] sys-fs/udev-171-r9:0
25 >> root@fireball / #
26 > Thanks. So you don't have udev-181, but you already need stuff under
27 > /udev for these rules to work. Which is what that URL is about.
28
29 Actually, NO. I only built a init thingy to GET READY for the change.
30 I can still boot WITHOUT the init thingy as it is now. I went through
31 this early instead of waiting for the upgrade that leaves me with a
32 machine that may NOT boot or me running around like a chicken with my
33 head cut off to figure out how to fix it. As it was, it took me a
34 couple weeks at least to find a init thingy that works. That is one
35 reason I hate the things. ;-) I suspect you were not around when hal
36 hit the scene. As bad as I hate hal, I think the init thingy has it
37 beat. Trust me, ask anyone on this list, I HATE hal!! If it was
38 physical instead of code, I would use it for target practice. Be nice
39 for my new .44 magnum rifle. :-)
42 >> I will not allow my system to upgrade to anything listed in the new
43 >> item. I'm not going to chance it.
44 >>
45 >> As to a silent fail. I watch my system really close when booting. If I
46 >> see any error message, I hit Scroll lock and make a note of it. I have
47 >> one now about rc.conf. I have the file in the new place but have not
48 >> rebooted yet to test. So far, I have not seen any error except for
49 >> sound card stuff when booting. Since a sound card is not needed when
50 >> booting, I'm not worried about it.
51 > You happen to understand that the "silent" part in "silent fail" implies
52 > that you won't see any error message? If it wasn't silent, it would not
53 > be called silent fail.
54 >
55 > In fact, I'd say that the article the URL points to was written exactly
56 > because this has been this way for some time, but as the fail is silent,
57 > many people simply don't notice that it fails, and assume that, as far
58 > as the system reachs the login prompt with no visible errors, then
59 > everything is OK.
60
61 Read above. I can boot withOUT an init thingy still. Also, I check for
62 errors after about every reboot, especially if I have not rebooted in a
63 while. I go through dmesg and other logs looking for anything that is
64 out of place or new. If anything has a issue, I'll find it. That's how
65 I already know about the sound card issue. It doesn't affect me booting
66 and never should.
67
68 >> Again, this comes to this that has been around for decades. Anything
69 >> needed for booting, should be on the / file system, /bin, /sbin, /lib or
70 >> /etc. Nothing needed for booting should be placed in /usr or /var since
71 >> a lot of people put those on separate file systems, including me. What
72 >> I don't get is this, that has been working for decades so why change
73 >> it?
74 > Then perhaps you should do, for example,
75 > equery belongs '/usr/bin/hp-check-plugin'
76 > equery belongs '/usr/bin/python'
77 > equery belongs '/usr/bin/hp-mkuri'
78 > equery belongs '/usr/sbin/alsactl'
79 >
80 > [and so on, for executables and scripts used in the udev rules the
81 > command found on your system]
82
83 I already know about them and they do NOT affect me booting. The hp is
84 my printer. The alsactl is my sound card. Again, nothing that affects
85 me booting. My system can boot if my printer is turned off and it also
86 boots without a sound card too. I do want to get me a better card tho.
87 ;-)
88
89 > And file bugs on these packages (ALSA, python and perhaps some CUPS
90 > drivers?), as these commands are needed for booting (they're called by
91 > udev as soon as there is a device matching the rule) and, so, they
92 > should live under /, not under /usr.
95 Thing is, upstream is not going to fix it. Lennart, and others, has
96 made it clear, it is their way or go away. This has been discussed a
97 lot over the past year or two. Some have even posted links to postings
98 by the udev/systemd folks. They are not interested in it. It gets
99 marked as 'won't fix' or whatever and that is the end of it.
100
101 Again, the point is, what has been working for ages is being claimed
102 that it is broken for basically everybody because it suites the ones
103 that want to change it. They use a init thingy to boot their systems,
104 binary based ones I might add, and they want to push the same on us.
105 Gentoo should not need a init thingy unless you have some setup where /
106 is encrypted or something. This is what so many disagree with. I don't
107 want one because they introduce one more point of failure when booting.
108
109 Just imagine the thread about 3.7.1 SATA errors. If he had a init
110 thingy, he would have to find out what is broken first, the init thingy
111 or the kernel or even worse, BOTH. I run into enough problems from time
112 to time. I do NOT want to add yet one more point of failure, especially
113 given the history of init thingys and me when I was on Mandriva. Been
114 there, done that, don't want to go back either.
115
116 Just my $0.02 worth.
117
118 By the way, I do NOT like init thingys. ROFL
119
120 Dale
121
125 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!