From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU "choking" under high load
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:50:37
1 On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Daniel Quinn
2 <expendable.0@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > I don't know if this is a hardware issue or not, but I thought that maybe I'd
4 > configured my kernel incorrectly and that this might be a known issue someone
5 > here has run across in the past so here goes:
6 >
7 > My computer is a pretty impressive AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ box
8 > with 2GB of RAM and for the most part, I just use it to write code at work.
9 > However, whenever I'm doing something CPU-intensive, two things happen:
10 >
11 > * The load on the box goes up to 4
12 > * The box intermittently wobbles from running at full-speed and dropping to
13 > a crawl. This is best seen while watching Flash videos online,
14 > compressing/encoding video, or compiling. Everything is fine for a few
15 > minutes, then suddenly the rate of compiling/compression/playback etc.
16 > drops to a crawl for about 1-3minutes, then back up to full speed.
17 >
18 > I don't know why it's happening. I've tried various kernel options with no
19 > change in behaviour. Outside of that though, I don't know what to try.
20 > Suggestions welcome :-(
21
22 My initial thoughts, it sounds like what I experienced a few kernels
23 ago when they introduced the new group scheduler features. In my case
24 I disabled "Group CPU scheduler" in kernel config and changed from
25 SLUB back to SLAB. Also perhaps try to change your preemption model,
26 timer frequency, NO_HZ mode. These things have all had noticeable
27 differences to me in responsiveness over the years.
28
29 If it's not a kernel issue, perhaps use "nice" to tame CPU-hungry
30 processes, or "ionice" if they are disk-intensive.
31
32 Be sure your Video Card is not overheating or going into low-power
33 mode. Nvidia cards go into a super-slow-mode when they overheat
34 (happened to me 3 times when the fan on the card died). When that
35 happened, for example my FPS in glxgears would go from thousands down
36 to double digits... I could see lines painting on the screen, it was
37 painfully slow.
38
39 Also, if your CPU has frequency scaling make sure it's not gone crazy,
40 cat /proc/cpuinfo to see CPU speed, or powertop might be a more
41 friendly way to view the P-States.
42
43 Download memtest86+ from memtest.org and run it to be sure you don't
44 have any faulty RAM (in my experience tests 5 and 8 are the only ones
45 that ever show any errors, so you can save time by only running one
46 full pass of all tests and then a multiple passes of 5 and 8 just to
47 be sure it's good)