From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: external SSD problem
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:58:31
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
5 > sd 8:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
6
7 > The only way to get the /dev/sdb device back is to 'modprobe -r
8 > xhci_hcd && modprobe xhci_hcd'. I've tried two different USB3 cables.
9 > I have an external USB3 hard drive that works fine but /dev/sdb
10 > doesn't appear after ejecting the SSD unless I modprobe xhci_hcd.
11 > Should I file a kernel bug?
12
13 Hello Grant,
14
15 I've had similar device issues with hardware attached
16 to the pci bus. I found this obscure command that
17 updates the master list of pci device "id" on a gentoo system:
18
19 /usr/sbin/update-pciids
20
21 This may help:
22 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/198486
23
24 Maybe there is such a script for usb buss related numbers,
25 or the ones posted for your devices need updating?
26
27 It's a shot in the dark, but may give you and idea
28 on what's misaligned with that particular device?
29
30 hth,
31 James