From: Jan Ubben <mail@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] wpa_supplicant with madwifi partially stopped working after remerge
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:08:44
1 Hello.
2
3 A few hours ago I tried to upgrade from 2.6.26-gentoo-r4 to
4 2.6.27-gentoo-r7.
5
6 As expected, WLAN stopped working due to missing modules. I remerged
7 madwifi-hal and madwifi-hal-tools contained in the overlay from allenjb
8 to get the needed kernel modules. Afterwards remerged wpa_supplicant.
9
10 But WLAN still did not work.
11
12 So I booted to my prevoius kernel and found WLAN non functional there too.
13 I switched the link /usr/src/linux back to the previous kernel and tried
14 to remerge madwifi-hal, the tools and wpa_supplicant again.
15
16 Now the modules do correctly (I suppose) create the needed devices and
17 the init scripts pull the interface up. But the boot messages complain
18 about not having set WEP-Keys, which are set in the config file residing
19 at /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. That results in my WLAN is
20 associated to an unsecured access point in my area.
21
22 Since I did not touch the config files, I wondered if the standard
23 location of config files regarding wpa_supplicant moved, but could not
24 find anything related.
25
26 I tried wpa_cli to get some information, but it can't connect to
27 wpa_supplicant.
28
29 So I tried to run wpa_supplicant manually: wpa_supplicant -Dmadwifi
30 -iwifi0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
31
32 ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Operation not supported
33 Could not configure driver to use managed mode
34 ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: Operation not supported
35 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Operation not supported
36 ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not supported
37 Failed to initialize driver interface
38 Speicherzugriffsfehler
39
40 Now I am stuck. Any suggestions how to get WLAN back working?
41
42 Jan