From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot failure using root=LABEL=RAID1root but not LABEL=RAID6root
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 23:00:51
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Bruce Hill
4 ><daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 02:09:35PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> I don't know if you're right but it makes sense. If I need e2label
9 >>> read labels from the CLI then I probably need all the same stuff in
10 >>> the initramfs which this one doesn't have.
11 >>>
12 >>> The problem I have with that idea is that all I put in the RAID6
13 >which
14 >>> does have an initramfs is e2fsck, not e2label or anything else.
15 >>> However maybe e2fsck has that capability and that's why it's
16 >working?
17 >>>
18 >>> Good catch!
19 >>>
20 >>> Thanks, and best wishes for the new year and a safe New Year's eve
21 >to all.
22 >>>
23 >>> Cheers,
24 >>> Mark
25 >>
26 >> I've deleted your OP (sorry), but also, the kernel autodetects RAID
27 >using
28 >> metadata 0.90 superblocks, but not 1.2 superblock (seems your output
29 >had some
30 >> of each?).
31 >> --
32 >
33 >Hi Bruce,
34 > Yes, in the first and older Gentoo build I'm letting the kernel
35 >autodetect RAID1 to find /. That's the install that does NOT work
36 >mounting by label.
37 >
38 > In the second install I use an initramfs, / is on a RAID6 and is
39 >not autodetected. Rather I assemble the RAID6 within the initramfs
40 >using mdadm --assemble ####. The initramfs has both e2fsck & mdadm so
41 >it's able to assemble the RAID. It's also able to mount by label
42 >without any problems.
43 >
44 > Joost is suggesting that there might have been a thread earlier
45 >this year that said you must use an initramfs to mount by label, but I
46 >cannot find any grub documentation that supports that, and so far have
47 >not discovered the thread he's remembering.
48 >
49 >HTH, and thanks!
50 >Mark
51
52 Found it.
56 Was around 20th of July.
60 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.