From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ruby - 3 versions - seriously????
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 02:18:28
1 On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Marvin Gülker <m-guelker@×××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Am 02. September 2017 um 22:57 Uhr +0200 schrieb Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
3 >> OK, so disclaimer up front. I detest Ruby. I hate it with a passion.
4 >
5 > There is nothing one can do against that, but...
6 >
7 >> Each new minor version of ruby is a whole new language and the devs
8 >> are OK with large breaking changes between minor version numbers.
9 >
10 > ...this is factually incorrect. There are new features added quite
11 > often, but minor versions are generally backwards-compatible. The one
12 > exception was the 1.8->1.9 switch years ago.
13
14 One of the reasons I dislike Ruby is that there is no complete
15 specification of the language available, making this statement
16 (technically) untestable. Seeing as the OP is saying there are 3
17 versions queued for merge and he has not installed any of them by hand
18 it looks like Alan is right. Perhaps the OP is using "old" Ruby based
19 software, but software of that age in another language could work on
20 new interpreters.
21
22 Cheers,
23 R0b0t1.