From: john <john@×××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xorg-server upgrade
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:06:08
1 Hello,
2 After updating my machine which included upgrading
3 xorg-server-1.7.6. I was left with a none working mouse and
4 keyboard. After an hour or so of checking I decided to
5 re-emerge xorg-server again to discover a message to rebuild
6 x11-drivers. I rebuilt x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev and mouse
7 and keyboard worked again.
8
9 Question 1
10 Should x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev be rebuilt automatically
11 after xorg-server upgrade?
12
13 Linux/Gentoo appaers to be moving away from xorg.conf and
14 towards hal/policices. When using proprietary graphics
15 drivers you also need xorg.conf.
16
17 Question 2
18 Is it possible to use proprietary ati-drivers and
19 nvidia-drivers wthout having to use xorg.conf. Can this
20 be done through hal and will this change in the future?
21
22 I have tried using x11 radeon driver with built in kernel
23 direct rendering. The performance of this was relatively poor.
24 Stellarium would not work, a few games would barely
25 function. ati-drivers-8.7.2 works well with xorg-server-1.7.6
26 and cured all these issues but this required unmasking hard
27 masked package.
28
29 Question 3
30 Sould I expect x11 radeon driver with built in kernel dri to be
31 as good as fglrx? Direct rendering was running (glxinfo).
32
33 Thanks. Hope this is clear
35 John D Maunder