From: Bertram Scharpf <lists@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] diskless booting [solved, I hope]
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:00:55
1 Hi,
2
3 Am Montag, 01. Okt 2007, 07:51:36 -0500 schrieb Dan Farrell:
4 > On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 09:41:43 +0100
5 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 > > > I was going to suggest you avoid pxegrub, but I guess you figured
7 > > > that out for yourself.
8 > >
9 > > What's wrong with pxe grub. I use it and it works, so I haven't tried
10 > > pxelinux. Is there a good reason to change if it works?
11 > >
12 > I never got it to work last January when I set up my first diskless
13 > host. I got similar strange errors; it just didn't seem to want to do
14 > anything, although it appeared to be properly configured.
15 >
16 > PXElinux was a breeze by comparison, I thought, even though the
17 > configuration files are icky. But most importantly, it worked, so I
18 > stuck with it under the same principle.
19
20 I set up a CD-less client just for installation last week
21 and I did not succeed with PXElinux; then I used Pxegrub and
22 everything was fine. I admit I have not clue how to manage
23 an initramfs; with Pxegrub you need RootNFS which I finally
24 installed correctly after bothering this list with some
25 stupid posts ...
26
27 Bertram
31 Bertram Scharpf