From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] net.eth0 won't work!
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:37:40
1 On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Michael Sullivan<msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > A couple of weeks ago my ten year-old(ish) server box died. I've wanted
3 > to replace it for a long time, and last week we finally did. We took it
4 > to our local computer shop to have a new hard drive installed, as the
5 > old one used an IDE hard drive and the new PC's motherboard doesn't
6 > support that. The tech cloned the IDE drive onto a SATA drive and
7 > installed the new SATA. We got it back this morning. I've re-built the
8 > kernel several times over the past few hours, and I cannot get net.eth0
9 > to work when not booting from the livecd. I've got the error message,
10 > lspci and lsmod from the last boot off the hard drive (though I had to
11 > boot with the livecd in order to copy it to my main PC to send it to
12 > you). The error message is:
13 >
14 > * Starting eth0
15 > * Bringing up eth0
16 > * 192.168.1.2
17 > * network interface eth0 does not exist
18 > * Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)
19
20 My guess is the new interface is called eth1, since it has a different
21 MAC address than the old eth0 (and linux doesn't know that you are
22 replacing it rather than supplementing it). Try editing or completely
23 deleting /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (it will be
24 re-created automatically after you reboot if you delete it). That's
25 where udev decides which network device gets which name.