From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] monitor acting strangely when gdm starts
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:17:48
1 On Sunday 20 February 2011 19:44:53 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > Mick writes:
4 > > > On Sunday 20 February 2011 14:20:56 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Oh I see. You've upgraded xorg, but not your kernel ... ?
7 > > >
8 > > > If this is the case, then downgrade xorg-server back to 1.7 version.
9 > >
10 > > X.org 1.7 has been masked, and will be removed from the portage tree in
11 > > four weeks. Sure, you can keep the ebuilds in the local overlay, but I
12 > > fear this will lead to trouble eventually.
13 > >
14 > > I will do this for a while, too, but one day I will have to deal with
15 > > it. This X stuff is really giving me great trouble. Or maybe I will just
16 > > give up and get another graphics card, my on-board Radeon HD3200 does
17 > > not seem to be supported well. But then, I am having trouble with X
18 > > since I am using Linux, there were only few, short periods of time when
19 > > X just worked.
20 >
21 > Well, I could not even downgrade to 1.7 -- when I did and started gdm, I
22 > lost my keyboard -- I had to login from somewhere else and do chvt to
23 > get out. Maybe this was because of hal or something, not sure. I have
24 > in my backups an ebuild for 1.9.2.902 which seems to work in preliminary
25 > testing whereas 1.9.4 did not work at all with this kernel.
26 >
27 > X stuff is sure quirky.
28
29 Yes, especially between versions! ;-)
30
31 To get your keyboard/mouse back with version 1.7 you may need to set up those
32 pesky .fdi files and of course you will need to make sure that hal is running.
33 --
34 Regards,
35 Mick