From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to play quicktime (*.mov) videos with firefox
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:46:25
1 On 30 Aug 2009, at 17:40, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > ...
3 > mplayer support for realplayer was a right royal cockup. The only
4 > thing it
5 > could ever have meant was that mplayer could play Real videos. But
6 > the way it
7 > was documented, users couldn't figure out if this would install the
8 > binary
9 > realplayer, provide support for real from some other party, or do an
10 > entirely
11 > different third action.
12
13 I _believe_ that at one time the "real" USE flag installed
14 RealPlayer's binary codecs, but that with USE="-real" mplayer would
15 still play most Real streams, anyway.
16
17 This is - as you say - confusing and non-intuitive.
18
19 When the the "real" USE flag was masked there was, therefore, uproar
20 because it was assumed by the unwashed masses (including myself) that
21 "OMG! mplayer won't play the BBC Radio 1 Real stream anymore", and
22 this assumption was incorrect.
23
24 IIRC the RealPlayer's binary codecs were pretty much used only for
25 streams of an obsolete format depreciated by Real themselves. Newer
26 Real streams used codecs like MP3 that mplayer would quite happily
27 decode on its own (providing USE="mp3").
28
29 I gather, however, that the "real" USE flag may now have been
30 reinstated with a different meaning - the intuitive one. :/
31
32 Stroller.