From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT worth upgrading hardware ?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:48
1 On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 08:12:56AM +0100, Dave S wrote
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I have a PIII 700Mhz, 256MB RAM, Finances are somewhat tight (read
5 > that as very tight) but I could do with some more speed when playing
6 > with python scripts + KDE can be a tad sluggish.
7
8 Running a fat bloated resource-hogging "desktop" like GNOME or KDE
9 means that you're wasting a lot of system resources on Windows-like
10 eye-candy. Before spending any money, try switching to a lightweight WM
11 (Window Manager) like "blackbox". If you want a "control panel" use the
12 "fbpanel" app. You have to set things up manually, but things run a lot
13 quicker. Note; you can run KDE and GNOME *APPLICATIONS* without running
14 a GNOME or KDE *DESKTOP*.
15
16 I run applications, not desktops.
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>