From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I really need to install new packages during upgrade?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 15:13:18
1 On 26/08/2014 16:42, Gevisz wrote:
2 > On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:30:58 +0200
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 26/08/2014 12:00, Gevisz wrote:
6 >>> On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:42:01 +0100
7 >>> Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> On Tuesday 26 August 2014 12:21:35 Gevisz wrote:
10 >>>>> I have just tried to upgrade my system (which I do almost every
11 >>>>> day) and found out that portage wants to install 6 new python
12 >>>>> packages that seem to be unnecessary because for example
13 >>>>> # equery depends dev-python/pyopenssl
14 >>>>> reports that no other package depends on this one.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> The same situation is with all the other python packages.
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=60
19 >>>>> --ask world
20 >>>>
21 >>>> It could be that "--with-bdeps=y" term. I took a long time to learn
22 >>>> that lesson, as old-timers may remember.
23 >>>>
24 >>>> What happens if you change y to n?
25 >>>
26 >>> In this case, the portage wants to update all the same "unnecessary"
27 >>> python packages and only decides not to update the eselect-ruby.
30 >> You've approached this in an inefficient way.
31 >>
32 >> When portage gives an odd list of dependencies to be emerged
33 >> (especially if they are new indicated by [ebuild N ]), then
34 >> always run emerge with the -t option. This will display the same
35 >> output in a tree view showing you what pulls things in. This exactly
36 >> answers the question you asked.
37 >
38 > Thank you for the hint. I will try it next time but now
39 > # emerge -t pyopenssl
40 > just re-emerged the package and I saw no dependencies.
41
42 That's correct.
43
44 pyopenssl depends on nothing so there is nothing to display.
45 Other things depend on pyopenssl (like ssl-fetch) so emerge those and
46 you'll see.
47
48 It's vital when working with portage to have a very firm grasp of the
49 difference between what a package depends on and what depends on it.
52 >> Looking at emerge output without the -t option does not show this
53 >> information, so you don't know.
54 >>
55 >> When a package is to be installed new (i.e. not an update) then
56 >> "equery depends" is pointless. That form of the command shows the
57 >> dependencies for *installed*packages*, so obviously can't show the
58 >> deps for something not installed yet.
59 >
60 > Yes, now "equery depends" shows that pyopenssl is needed for ssl-fetch
61 > and ndg-httpsclient, ssl-fetch is needed for mirrorselect is needed for
62 > nothing. :)
63 >
64 > I do not remember installing mirrorselect, at least I never used it
65 > (just now found out what it is used for) but somehow it managed to get
66 > into my world file...
67
68 A hundred bucks says you ran "emerge mirrorselect" during your very
69 first install, because the install doc says to do it
72 > May be I used it during my first Gentoo installation, my birth as Gentoo
73 > user. We usually do not remember what happened during our births. :)
74 >
75 >> There are options to equery that make it search the tree itself,
76 >> not your vdb, but they are slo-o-o-ow. maan equery for details.
77 >
78 > I am not in a hurry, so will look for this option too. :)
79 >
80 >> --with-bdeps=n omits eselect-ruby as it is a build depend for some
81 >> package. A build depend means you need it to build something not to
82 >> run it. Portage defaults to n on this to make things a little more
83 >> efficient and compile less stuff. In your case eselect-ruby will only
84 >> be updated when something else that needs it at build time is
85 >> updated. Until then you strictly speaking don't really need it to be
86 >> updated.
87 >
88 > Thank you for the explanations.
92 Alan McKinnon