From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to wake up gdm
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 11:00:34
1 On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 10:05:58 +0200
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:36:14 +0300
5 > Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:startxfce4
6 >
7 > > Are you sure that you need gdm at all?
8 >
9 > Yes, `startx` doesn't work well in GNOME 3 for a lot of people; so,
10 > unless one attempts to cover what the login manager sets up, I don't
11 > think that a plain call with a plain `exec gnome-session` will work.
12 >
13 > It for example needs the *-launch things between exec and
14 > gnome-session.
15
16 Then, it is high time to switch for xfce4.
17
18 First of all, the version number is bigger. :)
19
20 And, the second of all :), in case of xfce4
21 I need only one following line in ./xinitrc
22
23 startxfce4
24
25 One even can do without ./xinitrc al all
26 if he do not mind instead of the startx
27 command type startxfce4.
28
29 P.S. I have switched to xfce4 from gnome2
30 and nobody can find any difference.
31
32 Only I know that the image of sun in gnome2
33 weather applet was nicer. :)