From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: In the fear of getting hacked (WLAN setup)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 14:38:26
1 On 18/07/2015 08:43 μμ, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 06:47:21 +0300 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >>> The problem I (possibly needless) see is: While I am tinkering and
4 >>> testing the configuration I may setup an open Wifi access point
5 >>> without noticing it in first glance and
6 >>> BANG! get hacked ... in the worst case: unrecognized...
7 >>
8 >> If you don't have any daemons running that provide network services
9 >> (have opened listen ports), you can't get hacked.
10 >
11 > Yes and no. If user enabled network interface and has no network
12 > daemons running, kernel still listens to that interface (ARP, icmp
13 > and so on) and may be hacked using vulnerabilities in network
14 > stack, protocol handlers or even network device drivers.
15
16 Which is not a realistic scenario. We can assume that for all intents
17 and purposes, the OP is safe.