From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>, gentoo developers <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:43:17
1 On Friday 25 June 2010 22:17:39 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
5 > I'm currently collecting a set of rules which upstream developers
6 > should follow to make distro maintainer's life easier.
7 >
8 > Comments welcomed :)
11 My biggest beef by far when packaging apps is automagic dependencies.
12
13 e17 is full of them - if package A is present, the app will configure itself
14 to use it. Usually you cannot switch this kind of thing off even if you have
15 valid reasons to do so.
16
17 I want explicit --enable-<package> features in the ./configure step for
18 everything that might be optional. Because I often do have that lib on my
19 system and the app's usage of it is buggy, so I should be able to disable that
20 support.
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com