From: luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoo on the i7
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:07:40
1 hello list,
2
3 after many years without a hardware upgrade, i'll be receiving my new
4 computer next week: intel i7 920 cpu, 6 GB ram, asus p6t mobo.
5
6 i'm pretty excited, i imagine that at first i'll be shocked at the
7 difference with the ancient machine i'm using now.
8
9 now my question: searching a bit for the best compilation flags for
10 this processor, i found this at gentoo-wiki:
11
12 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
13 CFLAGS="-march=core2 -msse4 -mcx16 -msahf -O2 -pipe"
14 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
15 (http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/Intel)
16
17 on the other hand, a thread at http://forums.gentoo.org says that the
18 wiki page is outdated, and that -march=native should do the job without
19 any further tweaks like -msse4 etc.
20
21 any ideas from the list?
22