From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:40:17
1 Joerg Schilling ha scritto:
2 >> No, this is your assumption. Mine is the opposite - as I see it, the
3 >> question is very real and the author admitted that he found those URLs
4 >> using Google which implies he had nothing to do them.
5 >
6 > Could you explain me why he did not read the information on the cdrtools
7 > web page to get the information?
8
9 Read it (admittedly, read mostly the google cache because berlios.de
10 seems slow/unreachable now).
11
12 It just says "I choose CDDL because it's more free than GPL" and stuff
13 like that. This is better than the complete nothing we had before, but
14 it is still quite obscure.
15
16 I gave a (quick) look at the CDDL and on one side I feel sympathetic
17 with you (it seems the incompatibility claimed by Debian is extremly
18 technical and doesn't seem to pose peculiar problems) but on the other
19 side it seems CDDL and GPL are similar enough that I see no strong
20 reason to change license.
21
22 - Why is it in your opinion more free, in a few words?
23 - Why did you prefer to release it CDDL and see people go berserk (right
24 or wrong they are, it doesn't count here) instead of keeping it GPL and
25 let everyone live peacefully? In other words: why is CDDL *so important*
26 to you that you prefer to see bad forks of your software pop out instead
27 of having a compromise about licenses and let your software live happily?
30 >>> What do you call "a modified CDDL license" and why do you believe
31 >>> there is "a modified CDDL license"?
32 >>
33 >> Answering the question with question? (obviously I can do that too :D)
34 >
35 > It makes no sense to answer questions if the question contains a hint for a
36 > missunderstanding.
37
38 Again, you don't understand the purpose of *human communication*.
39 Communication is exactly made to iron out misunderstandings.
40 Communicating with people that are already on your side/already
41 understand what you're going to say *makes no sense*.
42
43 >> First it would be interesting, second more effective for your cause and
44 >> third it would hopefully cease your current practice to hijack every
45 >> optical media related thread on this list and send spam that advertises
46 >> your product (cdrtools).
47 >
48 > If you believe this, then we need to stop this thread immediately.
49 >
50 > Every such thread on this list that was based on Bugs introduced by the people
51 > who "created" wodim.
52 >
53 >> I mean no offense, but allow me to be blunt. This practice of yours
54 >> is not only extremely annoying, but it is also very unwise because it
55 >> backfires - instead of making people understand your problem, now you
56 >> have a list of annoyed Gentoo fans.
57 >
58 > Do you like to tell me that Gentoo users are not interested to know why they
59 > have problems with CD/DVD writing?
60 > Do you like to tell me that nobody is interested in a simple fix?
61
62 Surely to let people aware of the cdrkit/cdrtools split and that
63 cdrtools can fix what's made by cdrkit is useful.
64 But it seems there is a tendency to make things degenerate into a
65 constant "either with me or against me!" threading, and your "conspiracy
66 theory" attitude does not help.
69 You tell on the webpage that Debian people started attack you before the
70 licence change. No link, for what I can see at a glance, is provided to
71 examples of these attacks (if I'm wrong, please correct me).
72 No reason is given for those attacks (again, if I'm wrong,etc.).
73
74 Now, it is possible that Debian has been possessed by $EVIL_DEITY and
75 that all those people are dedicating their life to annoy poor old Joerg.
76
77 Bear with me however if I assign to that quite tiny odds.
78
79 What I think is that those people were honestly concerned for some
80 (maybe stupid, maybe real) reason. Why should one randomly begin to
81 attack randomly a good developer releasing essential software? Why
82 should one go so long to fork such hard software, if this one does not
83 sincerely believe there is a reason to embark on such an adventure? You
84 may disagree with them, but thinking that they're doing all that just
85 because of a personaly conspiracy against you and cdrtools seems a bit a
86 delusion.
87
88 Here's what I'd write on your webpage if I was you:
89
90 "Q: Why is there a fork of cdrtools?
91 A: In 2004, a discussion arose with Debian developers around $ISSUE
92 (see *here*) and, later, around licensing terms (see *here*). Basically
93 there is a disagreement between us on the possibility to relicense [...]
94 Unfortunately, despite long and bitter discussion, no compromise had
95 been reached and they decided to release a supposedly "more free" fork,
96 called cdrkit. I personally disagree completely (CDDL is in my opinion
97 more free than GPL), but that's their choice.
98
99 Q: Is there a reason to use cdrtools instead of forks?
100 A: Yes. cdrkit is less updated (see cdrkit activity *here* vs cdrtools
101 activity *here*) and more buggy (see *here* for a comparison of cdrkit
102 bugs vs cdrtools bugs). So, I strongly advice to use the original
103 cdrtools instead of the forks. Unfortunately, many Linux distribution
104 choose to follow Debian reasoning on licences and distribute cdrkit
105 instead of cdrtools. A notable exception is Gentoo."
106
107 Practically the same stuff, but no conspiracy theory wording. It would
108 make you look like more of a reasonable person. What do you think?
109
110 m.
111 --
112 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list