From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: cpufrequtils can't find expected /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 03:07:36
1 yac <yac <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > > I'm finishing up on installing Gentoo on a laptop. I tried testing
5 > > cpufrequtils, and ran into problems...
6
7 > I haven't tried this myself but I believe you need
8 > CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE kernel config.
9
10 > And I guess this is the ultimate reference:
11 > https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cpu-freq/index.txt
14 Well, for sure I have not kept up with all these issues. But some
15 kernel versions ago, there was heavy work on the I/O and various schedulers,
16 memory management etc etc. All of these settings effect the processor(s)
17 speeds, idle etc. I started reading about overclocking my FX-8350 after I
18 got the water cooler installed and realize about a year ago,
19 many, many things have changed. So I guess what I'm saying is this
20 subject get's very complicated very quick, with lots of new options
21 for performance tuning on a system.
22
23 I'd read up a bit and find similar things that folks have done to "optimize"
24 a workstation (laptop) for speed or economy (power consumption) and start
25 with that before tweaking and testing the myriad of things that can effect
26 your system's overall performance. On laptops, some graphics hardware can be
27 put to sleep for substantial power savings, along with tricks on HD
28 operations......
29
30 Surely monitoring the cpu temerpatures is the best place to start, but
31 there is so much more to tune now, kernel and otherwise.
34 Arch Linux has some nice docs that may get your research going:
35
36 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_frequency_scaling
37
38 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/maximizing_performance