From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage is misplaced in /usr
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 20:14:50
1 Cedric Sodhi wrote:
2 > There are several reasons why portage, neither the tree nor (especially
3 > not) the distfiles should reside in /usr.
4 >
5 > /var is expected to be heavily written and read from, as it is the case
6 > with the portage tree.
7 >
8 > It's possibly subject to fragmentation and small file sizes and heavy
9 > changes, which is usually accounted for my choosing an appropriate
10 > filesystem and configuring it accordingly.
11 >
12 > /usr is expected to be a static directory with mostly read access and
13 > few to no changes on a running system.
14 >
15 > This issue seems to have been ignored for a long time. When I asked
16 > about it, I met two types of responses:
17 >
18 > a) Those who thought about it and agreed, that portage should be moved
19 > b) Those who replied "deal with it"
20 >
21 > If you can think of good counter arguement which *logically* supports
22 > that portage should by default reside in /usr (including the distfiles
23 > and everything else variable) please tell us. If not, please refrain
24 > from logically irrelevant statements such as the above, "you can always
25 > do<insert some random workarround here>" or similar ones.
26 >
27 > If you have further arguments to support my point, I'd also welcome them
28 > to the discussion,
29 >
30 > I expect 90% or more of the real arguments to support my point.
31 >
32 > I've also heard rumours that such an outcome has already been there in
33 > the past, yet, gentoo developers ignored it and kept portage in /usr for
34 > unknown and most likely unlogical reasons. I believe these rumours.
35 >
36 > If again, the logical conclusion will be that portage should be moved
37 > but it is not acted upon but logic is ignored, please ask yourself what
38 > kind of distribution we are.
39 >
40 > "It is a community built around a distribution which is driven by
41 > more than 300 developers and thousands of users. "
44 > regards, MD
49 Moving the tree out of /usr has been discussed by the devs several
50 times. Each time, they have decided not to move it. I doubt that is
51 going to change anytime soon.
52
53 On another note, you can edit make.conf and put it anywhere you want.
54 It being in /usr is not etched in stone or anything. This is from my
55 make.conf:
56
57 # PORTDIR is the location of the portage tree. This is the repository
58 # for all profile information as well as all ebuilds. This directory
59 # itself can reach 200M. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND that you change this.
60 #PORTDIR=/usr/portage
61 #
62
63 I don't think that warning is in the newer ones. That one came from the
64 1.4 days. Sort of a old install. ;-)
65
66 Dale
67