From: Gabriel Rossetti <rossettigab@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device "hda6" or unknown-block(3,6)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:33:07
1 Hi,
2
3 If it's in a USB enclosure, you need your /boot to be in a partition on
4 your main
5 disk (the one inside of the laptop), if I'm not mistaking, Fei seams to
6 think so too.
7 The hda* is now an sda* (or sdb*, sdc*, etc) because usb storage stuff
8 emulates scsi.
9
10 Gabriel
11
12 Bruce Burden wrote:
13 > Hi gang,
14 >
15 > I have a laptop, originally with Windows. I partitioned the
16 > windows space, and installed Gentoo. Fine and well.
17 >
18 > Then I replaced the original hard drive with a new one, and
19 > moved the windoze/Gentoo drive to a USB enclosure. I changed the
20 > drive specs from "hda0,x" to "hda1,x", and attempted to boot
21 > Gentoo in single user mode, by appending a 1 to the GRUB string.
22 >
23 > That seemed to work, but eventually the process fails with
24 > the:
25 >
26 > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda6" or unknown-block(3,6)
27 >
28 > message above. Googling about tells me that perhaps the SCSI or
29 > the USB subsystems may not be loaded, and that is why the boot
30 > process fails. One recommendation was the change the /dev/hdaX
31 > notation for the device numerical notation, ie root=0x802.
32 >
33 > Now, I have not (quickly) found the numerical notation,
34 > although I did encounter it once upon a time previously. Does
35 > this seem like the correct approach? If so, what would be the
36 > correct notation for the second drive? As I recall, 0x800 was
37 > a SCSI notation?
38 >
39 > My GRUB is:
40 >
41 > default 0
42 > timeout 8
43 > splashimage=(hd1,5)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
46 > title Gentoo Linux 2.6.15
47 > root (hd1,5)
48 > kernel /boot/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hda6
49 >
50 > title Windows
51 > root (hd1,0)
52 > makeactive
53 > chainloader +1
54 >
55 > title Failsafe -- Gentoo Linux 2.6.12
56 > kernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=nor
57 > mal noresume selinux=0 barrier=off nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3
58 > initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd
61 > and all I have really done is change hd1,X, where originally I
62 > had hda0,X...
63 >
64 > I would also like to be able to boot into windoze, and currently
65 > all it does is return to the GRUB menu, so clearly something isn't
66 > right...
67 >
68 > Thank you,
69 > Bruce