From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Delays while building Libre Office.
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:28:10
1 Hi, Gentoo.
2
3 I've just built libreoffice-3.6.6.2 and it took 2 hours 10 minutes on my
4 2.6 GHz quad core Athlon 2. It used to take about an hour.
5
6 Watching the build, it became evident that the first 50 minutes or so
7 was taken up by several hundred mkdir operations (more precisely, mkdir
8 -p <long path>). Some of these mkdir's would take, perhaps, a minute to
9 execute. All the while, top showed make taking 100% of one core.
10
11 There seems to be something suboptimal here. Has anybody else seen
12 this, or does anybody have any ideas how to fix the problem?
15 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).