From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 10:37:59
1 On Sunday, May 04, 2014 09:53:35 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 03 May 2014 23:04:49 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 > > I spent nearly the whole day digging around this issue ...
4 >
5 > You did better than I did recently: I spent four days at it.
6
7 For mission-critical systems, I would have done a clean re-install already
8 with data copied back from a backup. More then 24 hours is a deadline.
9 For non-critical, I am willing to invest more time.
10
11 > > I wonder if I speak for more users when I say that all this is kind of
12 > > confusing sometimes ...
13 >
14 > I'm with you there, Stefan. I find the whole RAID and LVM area deeply
15 > mysterious, and the docs I've seen only say what to do, not why. I'd still
16 > like to find a proper explanation of how it all works.
17
18 I used to have a howto bookmarked that gave more detail then the current step-
19 by-step examples. Unfortunately, that whole website disappeared about 5 or 6
20 years ago.
21
22 Maybe check the old thread where Dale started with LVM. There is a lot of
23 detail in there.
24
25 > > I am not so far to skip the initramfs -> I don't *know* that, I just
26 > > tested removing the line from grub2 and it failed finding the root-fs.
27 >
28 > I've never had an initramfs, seeing no need in my case to keep /usr on its
29 > own partition.
30
31 Same here, until that whole mess started and I ended up using an initramfs.
32 At the same time, I moved everything except /boot onto RAID-0 for the
33 desktops.
34
35 > > For booting from a plain partition on an SSD I think I shouldn't need an
36 > > initramfs? Does it have to do with MBR/GPT as well (the SSD is
37 > > still/again MBR, as UEFI booting broke badly for me back then) ?
38 >
39 > As far as I know, the only thing that /requires/ an initramfs is having a
40 > separate /usr. And I can't help you with GPT or UEFI - sorry.
41
42 A seperate " /usr " or " / " on LVM.
43
44 > > Maybe I learn more soon ;-)
45 >
46 > I sometimes say that life is just one long journey of discovery :-)
47
48 It is. And that's what makes life interesting.
51 Joost