From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Per-process CPU % usage limit
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:25:27
1 On 7/8/06, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > The problem is that some very CPU-consuming apps, even if started with
3 > the lowest priority (eg, nice -n 19), still eat up 100% CPU (with
4 > subsequent overheating, fan start, throttling, etc.) if the system is
5 > not busy and has nothing else to do. What I'd like to know is whether it
6 > is possible to impose such a CPU percentage usage limit.
7
8 Well, I would first upgrade my cooling fans so the processor couldn't
9 overheat! :-)
10
11 But you could also enable "CPU freqency scaling" in the kernel, with
12 the ondemand governor, and use the various settings in
13 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq to control the clock speed and
14 behavior of the system. You can use scaling_max_freq to specify the
15 maximum frequency of the processor so that it will not overheat or
16 throttle, no matter what the load is, and the
17 ondemand/ignore_nice_load setting will tell the governor not to
18 increase the clock speed for niced processes.
19
20 -Richard
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list