From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] using meld with cfg-update -u
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:31:29
1 I have been using cfg-update quite happily for a good while.
2 I appreciate its automatically doing "simple" updates.
3
4 For any that it can't do automatically, I have done them manually
5 (using emacs/ediff). I decided to try meld instead (I use gnome).
6
7 It does make everything clear, but something seems wrong. Cfg-update
8 keeps a backup containing the previous version of the file. When
9 cfg-update invokes meld, the three relevant versions are displayed
10 in meld's window like this
11
12 current backup new (._*)
13
14 I believe I want the final state to be
15 backup = current
16 and
17 current = merger of current and new
18
19 But current and new are not adjacent on the meld so I don't see how to
20 do this using the fancy meld mouse actions. It seems to me, I want meld
21 to display
22
23 backup current new
24
25 then, for each change that I want from new, I push new version to
26 current.
27 But I don't see how to have cfg-update call meld in this order and I
28 don't see how to have meld swap the two left panes.
29 (I am assuming that cfg-update will arrange that when I am finished
30 backup = current-before-meld.
31 If not, I can do this in meld)
32
33 Can someone tell me how to get the configuration I want or explain why
34 the configuration I get is actually what I (should) want.
35
36 thanks,
37 allan