From: matthew.garman@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can't browse WinXP shares from gentoo
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:10:03
1 I've searched all over google and the like, and I'm at my wits'
2 end... I cannot get my gentoo box to connect to any of my roommate's
3 Windows XP Pro shares.
4
5 His computer is named "JDpc":
6
7 # smbclient -L //jdpc -N
8 Anonymous login successful
9 Domain=[RAWSEWAGE] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
10
11 Sharename Type Comment
12 --------- ---- -------
13 Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
14 Anonymous login successful
15 Domain=[RAWSEWAGE] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
16
17 Server Comment
18 --------- -------
19
20 Workgroup Master
21 --------- -------
24 I've tried both listing and directly connecting to individual shares
25 via smbclient AND mount.cifs, no luck.
26
27 It works if and only if I provide a specific user name and password
28 (my roommates' username and password). Even -U Administrator does
29 not work! All the shares have both "Everyone" and "Guest" set to
30 Full Control.
31
32 I'm convinced this is some overtight security setting on the WinXP
33 Pro box. He recently upgraded, and before, with Win2k, we did not
34 have this problem.
35
36 Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
37
38 Much appreciated,
39 Thank you,
40 Matt