From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 23:58:14
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >>>> On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 14:00:36 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>>>> The right tools are included, and documented, with your kernel.
8 >>>>>> Create a plain text config file detailing the contents of the
9 >>>>>> initramfs and set CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE to the path top this file.
10 >>>>>> That and an init script are all you need to have the initramfs
11 >>>>>> automatically built with the current versions of all files when you
12 >>>>>> compile your kernel.
13 >>>>> If you have one handy and it's not something huge (I don't think it is
14 >>>>> but I don't really know) maybe you could post an example of what that
15 >>>>> file looks like?
16 >>>> This is the file I use on a system that has / on a LUKS filesystem on top
17 >>>> of LVM. The format is documented in the kernel docs at
18 >>>> Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt
19 >>>>
20 >>> Thanks for the Xmas present! I've wanted to try it this way but never
21 >>> got up the energy to go do it all from scratch on my own. This should
22 >>> help me (and maybe Dale?) ;-) ;-) alot.
23 >>>
24 >>> Cheers,
25 >>> Mark
26 >>>
27 >>>
28 >>
29 >> I'm waiting on eudev myself. I'm going to enjoy the heck out of typing
30 >> in "rm -rfv /boot/init*". Then I can remove it from grub.conf and it is
31 >> history. Hopefully for a LONG time too.
32 > Sure, if eudev ever really happens.
33 >
34 > In the meantime, if you followed Neil's example here, you'd be doing
35 >
36 > rm -rfv init*
37 >
38 > today.
39 >
40 > Think about it! :-)
41 >
42 > Cheers,
43 > Mark
47 How would using a init thingy keep me from using a init thingy anyway?
48 Huh? <scratches head>
49
50 I don't have to have a init thingy today either. Think about it. LOL
51 If I reboot and the init thingy fails, I just edit grub and bypass the
52 init thingy. Fixed that pretty quick. ^_^
53
54 By the way, eudev is already in the tree but a dev on -dev said they had
55 a couple up coming fixes before needing any testing. It is REALLY
56 happening. ;-)
57
58 Dale
59
63 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!