From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] IPCHAINS or other alternative firewalls or packet-filters?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:11:36
1 IPCHAINS did the firewall job for me. Early versions of IPTABLES were
2 OK too. But it eventually developed the Mozilla disease, and became a
3 honking big routing/gatewaying/QOSing/singing/dancing monstrosity, of
4 which I required only a small fraction of its "functionality". And I'm
5 really confused as to which parts in netfilter/xtables/iptables I need
6 to build into the kernel.
7
8 I need a firewall (or even just a packet-filter) that will operate
9 with current Gentoo kernels, nothing more. I see a build for IPCHAINS.
10 Does it work with 2.6.29 and higher kernels? Are there other
11 alternatives in alternate overlays? I'm not a programmer, but I can
12 expand a tarball and...
13
14 ./configure --with-various-options && make && make install
15
16 ...if necessary.
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>