From: Steve <gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Insane load on gentoo server - possibly clamassassin related?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:53:57
1 Jarry wrote:
2 > Might be bug in clamd/spamassassin. But it could also be you are
3 > being mail-bombed (e.g. infinite depth of compressed-in-compressed
4 > attachements).
5 I thought about that - but I can't find an offending email with a bogus
6 attachment if I am.
7 > I recommend to include some limit for number of clamd/spamassassin
8 > instances. Don't know if procmail has such a capability, but it is
9 > easy to control it with wrappers like amavisd-new or MailScanner...
10 I'd assumed that clamassassin would take care of this with some sensible
11 defaults for me...
12
13 My default clamd.conf says:
16 # Maximum depth directories are scanned at.
17 # Default: 15
18 #MaxDirectoryRecursion 20
21 So, I'd imagine that would take care of this... conversely - it did seem
22 a bit strange that clamassassin was configured to use clamscan not
23 clamdscan (which would have made more sense to me) but it had been
24 configured that way for a very long time according to the file-dates and
25 it's only recently that things went awry for me...
26
27 My procmailrc is simply how I wire in my mail delivery filters. I'd
28 expect the filters themselves to behave sensibly... Though it came as a
29 bit of a shock to see that my postfix user had as many processes spawned
30 as it did... I'd always thought that the purpose of postfix was to queue
31 mail in order that it could be processed sequentially in order to avoid
32 this sort of problem...