From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:02:28
1 Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > The GPL tries to take off freedom in otder to keep freedom. This does
4 > > not work in most cases (I tried to sue two companies to no avail), so
5 > > why take off freedom at all?
8 > OK, all this means that in your opinion CDDL is better than GPL, but
9 > by no means it grants you the right to disregard GPL in favour of CDDL.
10 >
11 > Like it or not, there are GPL-ed pieces in cdrtools and if you want to
12 > use those pieces you have to comply with the GPL. That's the will of
13 > their respective authors. I don't like the EULA of Microsoft, so I
14 > don't use their products. It's as simple as that.
15
16 If you like to discuss things with the author of software you should not
17 disregard his will.
18
19 The license change to a more free license on cdrtools has been planned since
20 2001 which is long before the attacks from Eduard Bloch started.
23 > As I see it there are two options to stop the pointless discussion if
24 > CDDL and GPL can be legally mixed in cdrtools. First - revert back to
25 > GPL, second - move everything to CDDL. I see two solutions for the
26 > second choice:
27
28 Making pointless proposals like the one you did is one of the reasons why
29 there are endless discussions.
30
31 While the current license set up and the combination in use for cdrtools has
32 been verified by specialized lawyers, the claims from the people around Bloch
33 are all made by laymen only.
34
35 If you like it or not, the GPL has been intentionally made asymmetric to allow
36 the combination used for mkisofs. If the GPL was defined the way some license
37 trolls like to see it, then GPLd software would be illegal on MS-WIN, HP-UX,
38 AIX, ... It was very important for Stallman to allow to use GPLd software on
39 Closed Source operating systems and for this reason, the GPL allows GPLd code
40 to use other code from any license.
43 Jörg
46 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
47 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)