From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Do I really need kernel support for ppp?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:20:17
1 On 2014-08-13, gottlieb@×××.edu <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > (I use gnome, hence systemd.
4
5 Oh my. You have my condolances on both counts. ;)
6
7 > I have no modem, except the cable modem.)
8 >
9 > network-manager
10
11 Ouch. Another thorn...
12
13 > requires ppp and the latest version of ppp (just installed by today's
14 > update world) wants me to add ppp support to my kernel.
15 >
16 > I can certainly do so; is that considered advisable? If so must I do
17 > it right away?
18
19 Personally, I'd recommend ditching network-manager. I would think
20 anything that assumes everybody must use PPP had been abandoned years
21 (if not decades) ago and shouldn't be used.
22
23 It's also got the always reliable mark of uselessness:
24 a-long-name-with-a-hyphen-or-two in it. [If it ended in '-tool' you
25 could be 200% sure it should be towed out to sea and scuttled in order
26 to form an artificial reef.]
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Well, O.K.
30 at I'll compromise with my
31 gmail.com principles because of
32 EXISTENTIAL DESPAIR!