From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seeking advice about backup and partitioning; preparing to dual-boot Linux onto Vista drive
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:36:31
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > Dude, I'm getting a Dell!
3 >
4 > It's gonna come with Vista, and I have to use it that way for work.
5 > But I want to
6 > put a Linux partition on there. So I need to repartition.
7 >
8 > Having learned to be cautious, I'm wondering if there is a good open-source way
9 > to back up about 300GB of NTFS such that I can restore fairly smoothly. It has
10 > to be fairly fast, so file-by-file copies are probably going to suck.
11 > I'll have 100MB
12 > ethernet to a big-enough drive.
13 >
14 > Then, I'm wondering about partitioning tools. I can use
15 > PartitionMagic 7.0. I've heard
16 > of gparted, but not used it. Any advice?
17 >
18 > TIA
19 >
20 > ++ kevin
25 If I recall correctly they no longer actually ship a windoze CD/DVD to
26 install/restore from, don't forget to make your copies just in case you
27 make a mistake and have to reinstall windoze. I would hate for you to
28 have to go buy a copy of something you already had to pay for.
29
30 Good luck.
31
32 Dale