From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 08:36:36
1 2015-05-29 23:33 GMT+03:00 gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
2 > 2015-05-29 21:45 GMT+03:00 gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
3 >> 2015-05-29 19:36 GMT+03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
4 >>> On Friday 29 May 2015 17:20:13 gevisz wrote:
5 >>>> 2015-05-29 17:46 GMT+03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
6 >>>
7 >>>> > Do you get anything unexpected when you run 'locale'?
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Nothing. (Thank you for your question.)
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I have just re-read the Gentoo Localization Guide
12 >>>> (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Localization/Guide)
13 >>>> and checked what I have in my /etc/env.d/02locale
14 >>>> file: every possible option, except for LC_COLLATE
15 >>>> and LC_ALL, is set to en_US.UTF-8. Here is its full
16 >>>> content:
17 >>>>
18 >>>> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
19 >>>> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
20 >>>> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
21 >>>> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
22 >>>> LC_COLLATE=C
23 >>>> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
24 >>>> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
25 >>>> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
26 >>>> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
27 >>>> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
28 >>>> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
29 >>>> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
30 >>>> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
31 >>>
32 >>> You probably don't need all these. Mine are:
33 >>>
34 >>> LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
35 >>> LC_TIME="POSIX"
36 >>> LC_COLLATE="C"
37 >>>
38 >>> The rest are inherited from $LANG.
39 >>>
40 >>>> Here is what I get from
41 >>>> $ locale
42 >>>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
43 >>>> LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
44 >>>> LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
45 >>>> LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
46 >>>> LC_COLLATE=C
47 >>>> LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
48 >>>> LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
49 >>>> LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
50 >>>> LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
51 >>>> LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
52 >>>> LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
53 >>>> LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
54 >>>> LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
55 >>>> LC_ALL=
56 >>>>
57 >>>> I am almost giving up on this issue.
58 >>>
59 >>> Hmm ... this is rather odd. Just in case, you don't have in addition any LANG
60 >>> or LC_* entries in your .bashrc?
61 >>
62 >> No. Looked there as well.
63 >>
64 >> Now, I am going to forcefully unmerge the gettext package.
65 >> Will report the results later.
66 >
67 > Reporting: after forcefully unmerging the gettext package,
68 > shutting down the system and booting it anew, I still get
69 > the described above menu in Firefox in one of the easten-european
70 > languages.
71
72 As I still had a suspicion that those non-Eglish entries in the Firefox
73 menu remain because of some cash issues, I have just launched another
74 instance of the Firefox browser using a separate profile.
75
76 Well, in a separate profile, the Firefox menu is in English while
77 in the default profile it is in a non-English language.
78
79 So, it could be a cash issue: I have unmerged the gettext while
80 running Firefox and so its substitutions could be left somewhere
81 in cash...
82
83 P.S. As I have already described it earlier, this issue with the Firefox
84 menu is only related to the menu I get while right-clicking on
85 a youtube video in Firefox. (All the other menus is in English,
86 as desired.)