From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Motorola Razr V3i and moto4lin, not working yet.
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 18:44:03
1 On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 04:16:29PM -0600, Penguin Lover Dale squawked:
2 > I admit I have never used moto4lin before and this is my first "fancy"
3 > phone. I'm wanting to transfer some ring tones. What I am doing with
4 > moto4lin is to have the USB cable hooked directly to the phone. I also
5 > have a adapter that I can put the MicroSD card into and hook that to the
6 > USB without the phone. I just want them on there, not picky about how
7 > that happens.
8 >
9 > I have tried to have the phone set up as both a data connection and a
10 > memory card connection. The data one seems to get further to me.
11 >
12 > Also, when I put the card in the adapter and mount it manually, I can
13 > see files but the phone doesn't seem to see them when I put the card
14 > back in the phone.
15 >
16 > Anybody got one of these and know how to get this to work? Maybe share
17 > some settings or something?
18
19 Which is your cellphone carrier? If Verizon, then you have almost no
20 hope. I tried to use Moto4lin a year back with my Verizon phone, and
21 it seems that Verizon turns off some built-in configuration options
22 for the phone that allows connection to the computer unless you buy
23 one of their special connection bundle things with your plan.
24
25 With regards to the mini-card, what I did was put the card in the
26 phone first, turn on the phone, and the phone will set up a default
27 directory structure on the mini-card. If I take the memory card out
28 and use an adapter to connect to the computer, I can access the
29 pictures, the videos, and stored MP3s in their respective folders. (I
30 can copy mp3s to an from the memory card, the videos and photos from
31 the memory card. I have not tried putting videos and photos ONto the
32 card, but it should be possible.) What I cannot do is access the
33 ring-tones. I do not know if this is a restriction from the phone
34 manufacturer (motorola) or from the firmware installed by Verizon.
35 None of the files I put into the ring-tone folder gets recognized.
36
37 Also, I remember reading something about moto4lin working better for
38 gsm version of the phones than the cdma versions. But since I can't
39 back this claim up with any links, treat it with as many grains of
40 salt as you wish.
41
42 Lastly, two of the better places to ask about such questions are:
43
44 ModMyMoto: www.modmymoto.com
45 Howard Forums: www.howardforums.com (It is currently down for
46 maintenance, but should be back up soon.)
47
48 Best of luck,
49
50 W
51 --
52 "The nice thing about Mathematica is it can usually recover from all sorts of
53 silly things you ask it to do."
54 ~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
55 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 757 days, 17:12