From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Opinions on -fstack-protector
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:04:28
1 Mike Kazantsev schrieb:
2 > On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:11:10 +0200
3 > Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm wondering what you think about CFLAGS="-fstack-protector"? Do you
6 >> use it on security critical systems? Do you compile your kernel with it
7 >> (2.6.30+)? Is the performance decrease noticeable?
8 >
9 > I might be missing a point, but if you want really secure kernel, why'd
10 > you use 2.6.30+ instead of hardened-sources something like PaX and
11 > grsecurity?
14 In this particular case, the system is a vserver client. The kernel is
15 out of my reach. I only have control about userspace.
16
17 In general, I thought this might be a simple improvement which doesn't
18 need all the fuzz a hardened system would need (esp. for desktop systems
19 and such alike).