From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using an old kernel .config as the basis for a new .config
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 20:05:14
1 On 2017.12.28 14:52, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > Having just built linux-4.14.7-gentoo, suddenly a new version of the
5 > kernel, linux-4.14.8-gentoo-r1 has become stable. Configuring a
6 > kernel from scratch is a repetitive drudge.
7 >
8 > There is some way of initialising a new kernel .config from an
9 > existing one, I am sure, but I can't find it. I've looked at the
10 > Gentoo wiki, I've looked at (some of) the kernel's own
11 > documentation. The nearest I can find is make oldconfig, which
12 > supposedly does what I want, but it just seems to start off with a
13 > default .config and go through the hundreds of questions one at a
14 > time.
15 >
16 > So, would some kind soul please tell me how to get my old .config
17 > into a new one properly. Thanks!
18
19 You need to copy your old .config into the new kernel source
20 directory. "make oldconfig" then uses those values, and only asks you
21 about new items. It sounds like it was asking about everything because
22 it didn't have the old file as a starting point - so was starting from
23 scratch.
24
25 Jack