From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unmasking a cvs-version - a mystery ?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 06:47:19
1 On Monday 25 September 2006 16:26, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > how can I unmask a cvs version of a package
5 >
6 > I'd like to build
7 > x11-wm/enlightenment-0.16.9999
8
9 As a *very* happy e17 user I can give you some tips. This is a
10 longish reply, hopefully it'll save you some of the mistakes I
11 made :-)
12
13 I had endless hassles with the enlightenment-0.16.9999 snapshots
14 a while back - not everything was always available as a
15 snapshot and other miscellaneous issues. But that's not
16 important - what is is that I switched to e-9999 (the current
17 CVS, not snapshots) and everything works like a dream. I update
18 at least weekly and for two months now I've had no breakages
19 (not bad for current cvs stuff). The best docs are at get-e (I
20 don't have the url handy, but visit www.enlightenment.org and
21 the link is near the bottom of the left panel). There you will
22 find e17 and efl user guides with gentoo sections contributed
23 by vapier. Read that for the full info. I'll give you the short
24 version, snipped out of my local copy of the faqs:
25
26 ****************
27
28 To install just the window manager:
29 (Note: the ebuilds do not resolve all dependencies reliably. You
30 have to remerge all packages each time you want to update e17).
31 Add these to /etc/portage/package.keywords:
32
33 x11-wm/e -*
34 x11-libs/evas -*
35 dev-libs/eet -*
36 x11-libs/ecore -*
37 media-libs/edje -*
38 dev-libs/embryo -* to
39
40 Then run
41
42 emerge eet evas ecore embryo edje e
43
44 and update your x startup scripts/display manager to run the
45 enlightenment-0.17 binary
46
47 ******************
48
49 To install the full efl and everything else that comes with it
50 (do this instead of the above, not in addition to it):
51
52 Add these to /etc/portage/package.keywords:
53 x11-wm/e -*
54 x11-misc/engage -*
55 x11-libs/ewl -*
56 x11-libs/evas -*
57 media-libs/imlib2 -*
58 dev-libs/eet -*
59 dev-db/edb -*
60 x11-libs/ecore -*
61 media-libs/etox -*
62 media-libs/edje -*
63 dev-libs/embryo -*
64 x11-libs/esmart -*
65 media-libs/epsilon -*
66 media-libs/epeg -*
67 app-misc/examine -*
68 net-news/erss -*
69 x11-misc/entrance -*
70 app-misc/evidence -*
71 media-libs/emotion -*
72 media-gfx/elicit -*
73 media-gfx/entice -*
74 dev-libs/engrave -*
75 media-video/eclair -*
76
77 then run:
78
79 emerge eet dev-db/edb imlib2 evas ecore epeg embryo edje epsilon
80 esmart emotion ewl engrave
81
82 *****************
83
84 These emerge commands will download the latest cvs and emerge
85 the packages in the correct order. Don't try and change the
86 order in future updates, this breaks stuff :-) Always remerge
87 everything. It takes about 45 minutes to do the whole lot on my
88 reasonable speedy laptop
89
90 The x11-plugins/e_modules ebuild is currently broken as several
91 modules don't compile - raster dropped the gadman code in the
92 module system and replaced it with something new (gadcon).
93 e_modules is mostly 3rd party stiff and not all of it is
94 updated yet. The other standard modules, those included with
95 the wm itself, all work just fine. These are the ones that are
96 broken in e_modules:
97
98 bling, calendar, devian, engage, evolume, mbar, monitor, mount
99 and rss.
100 You can either write your own ebuild for the remaining modules
101 that work, or copy /usr/portage/distfiles/cvs-src/e_modules
102 somewhere and run ./autogen.sh && make && make install in each
103 sub-directory. Done as a user it installs the modules to
104 ~/.e/e/modules/<module_name>/. As root they go
105 in /usr/lib/enlightenment/<module_name>/
106
107 You might find it more convenient (as I do) to download the cvs
108 once and then experiment with compile options without having to
109 be online and connect to the cvs server with every emerge:
110
111 cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@×××××××××××××××××××××.org:/var/cvs/e
112 login
113 cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@×××××××××××××××××××××.org:/var/cvs/e
114 co *
115
116 Do subsequent emerges like this:
117 ECVS_SERVER="offline" emerge ....
118 This will skip the CVS checkout step and just use the local copy
119 as is. I'm sure there's a better way to do this, I'm just too
120 lazy to find it out.
121
122 This will download *everything* related to e for your
123 compilation pleasure :-) Not everything has an ebuild and not
124 all of it compiles. Once you get e17 running do yourself a big
125 favour and emerge evidence, then edit /etc/rc.conf
126 appropriately and run /etc/init.d/xdm restart. Do this just
127 once and I promise you, you will likely never want to see
128 standard xdm/gdm/kdm on your personal machine ever again :-)
129
130 share and enjoy :-)
131
132 alan