From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage is misplaced in /usr
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 19:31:12
1 Cedric Sodhi writes:
2
3 > There are several reasons why portage, neither the tree nor (especially
4 > not) the distfiles should reside in /usr.
5 >
6 > /var is expected to be heavily written and read from, as it is the case
7 > with the portage tree.
8
9 That's why I have /var/portage, with subdirectories tree, distfiles,
10 local, layman, packges and (for my 32bit chroot) packages.32. That's how
11 I think it should be, so I change it that way. Recently I also began
12 moving /var/tmp/portage there, so my /var partition could no longer
13 become full because of emerging openoffice.
16 > If again, the logical conclusion will be that portage should be moved
17 > but it is not acted upon but logic is ignored, please ask yourself what
18 > kind of distribution we are.
19 >
20 > "It is a community built around a distribution which is driven by
21 > more than 300 developers and thousands of users. "
22
23 Well, I agree with your point, and I find it strange that this has not
24 been changed, but - I don't care too much about it. I make a few quick
25 changes when I install a Gentoo, and that's it.
26
27 Wonko